Saturday, September 29, 2012

Zorn Palette

As mentioned in my previous post, I'll be teaching an oil painting class at the Watts Atelier next semester beginning Oct. 8. The class focuses on three limited color palettes: Burnt Umber, Zorn Palette and Warm/Cool. Here are a couple studies from models I did this week using the Zorn Palette, which consists of Titanium White, Ivory Black, Cad Red Light (traditionally Vermillion) and Yellow Ochre. It always amazes me how flexible this palette can be and what a wide range of color effects you can achieve. I was able to accurately capture two models with very different complexions and hair colors. And, of course, the effect of doing a limited palette painting is that the work ends up being more tonally strong along with a better sense of atmosphere unity since there are no strong vibrant colors that take over.











5 comments:

  1. Nice blog and I like your portraits in the Zorn pallete. I love using French Red Vermilion in place of Cad Red Light, but it was very hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Pamela. Yeah, one of these days, I'll get a real Vermillion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very interesting to see what power the limited palette has, you did a great Job! I noticed similar thin, lightly applied, strokes in work by Frans Hals. Do you use a sable brush for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! rdahl. Yes, my favorite sables are the old Royal Langnickel Long Flat 5590s. But they are no longer sold because of a ban on mongoose hair. Now I generally use Rosemary and Co.'s synthetic sables. The 279 and 7320 brushes. Anything from their "Lipking" collection is great. But I do frequently use strong bristle brushes too. The Robert Simmons Signet bristles are my workhorse brushes.

      Delete
  4. I will give Rosemary and Co.'s brushes a try and see if I can get the hang of that technique. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete