Friday, May 4, 2012

Welcome.

People are probably my favorite subject to paint. I love still life and plein air landscapes, of course. But nothing comes close to the challenge of capturing a likeness in a portrait while still creating a dynamic composition with an instant appeal and impact that makes the viewer want to simultaneously step forward for a closer look while also wanting to stand back to take in the whole effect. That's what I love most about viewing good portrait art by the likes of Sargent, Zorn, deLaszlo, Lipking, Schmid and many others.

I will endeavor to keep this blog updated frequently with my latest works: formal portraits, informal studies, still lifes, landscapes, sketches or whatever else peaks my interest.










3 comments:

  1. Great work, Court; I like the colors in the 5th one down especially. Well handled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dan. That was a portrait I did of an artist friend who passed away a couple years ago at much too young an age. It's also one of my own favorite pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear he passed away. Your painting is a great tribute.

    ReplyDelete